Visitors

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day 217: All I can say...it was halloween night

WHAT A LONG EXHAUSTING NIGHT....i just wanted to sleep but no one was letting me....

First off...I'm pretty sure this hospital has gotten a lot of new nurses. I worked so hard to get to know people and tried to remember faces and names. And for a while...it was awesome because most of my chemo nurses were the same...like a rotation or something. And even once...the charge nurse let me pick my nurse for the night! But this round everything seems different. Even when I got to my room, the rooms were cleaned funny and their were like patient welcome booklets and stuff all laid out like I'm gonna read this every time I come in, especially when I check in by myself...my board that they usually write on is different....rather than a thousand word questionnaire they (in theory) were suppose to go over with you during shift change(questions like, rate your pain, what is your goal for the day it's just a big white dry erase board.  just weird little things like that...changes....i don't like. I guess it just means that I NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE AND NEVER COME BACK. lol.

Second....I had a pretty slow nurse...or basically start to the whole chemo process. it seems like no one was communicating to each other because things kept happening like twice. nurses, doctors, questions, explanations....its like no one was talking to each other or something. It doesn't seem that bad on here but when you're the patient...it's annoying because I hate saying things twice (probably a teacher trait) or explaining myself....especially if whatever I say won't matter (go back to last post and read my venting). ugh. but luckily, i'm nice to people and only let out my anger on here.

Third....I ran a fever early in the evening...much like the last time I was in the hospital. Not as high as my 104 fever but still a fever. I was around 101.8 when the nurse checked me but I felt like I was on the downhill of the height of my fever. Then I thought the fever broke because I got REALLY hot and a little sweaty on my head.....OH NO....that came around 3am when I realized I was DRENCHED in sweat...not just my head...but my entire body....THEN just as soon as I woke up two guys walked in to get a chest xray because whenever a fever is recorded....a chest xray is taken....it was embarrassing because they had to pick me up and adjust me and i'm sure i felt absolutely disgusting. blah...but I was half asleep so i guess it didn't really matter anyway and on top of that, the middle of the night.

Fourth of all....chemo didn't actually get started until 2am....so up until all this I was getting blood cultures done (because of the fever) meaning I had to be stuck with a needle as well as blood being drawn from my picc line. and that itself took forever because my nurse had to get another nurse to draw my blood...why?? i don't really know but that's what she did. On top of that....at the same time they were trying to get my chemo on the road and calling doctors for consent that was ALREADY signed by the FIRST doctor I saw....and of course, if I said anything...no one would listen. crazy right??? So then they FINALLLY got my chemo started....I fell asleep pretty quick afterwards...but then they needed urine samples so here they are in and out of my room leaving lights on and then turning them off...i couldn't just situate myself underneath my blankets...because this whole time i was HOT trying to break my fever. So then an hour late the guys came in for the chest xrays....and then another hour later....my nurse came in with the second bag of chemo that has been running all day (big 24 hour bag) so once again....woken up....why?? idk....then I fell asleep and again...next thing I knew it was 5am and the daily 5am labs were taken....so I had blood being drawn from me all night long. I'm pretty sure more was drawn but i don't really remember it because i was in and out of sleep all night.

AND FINALLY........even though this didn't really happen last night.....but i'm pretty sure it was a direct result of last night......my hemoglobin is at a 6.6.....WHAT??!!! yup....so right now i'm hooked up to a unit of blood. awesome right?? I still think it would've been cool to have a blood transfusion on halloween itself...but oh well...

anyways....i ordered dinner around 6:25 (right before they closed) and it got here about an hour later...easy schmeasy hamburger and fries....and here's what they sent.....obviously the bottom of the barrel fries that have been sitting all day. and on top of that....i missed lunch because i was on the phone with my sister for a long time today talking about our trip were taking. So i was occupied all afternoon....skipping lunch. good thing I had a bagel for breakfast or else i'd be struggling a lot more than I already am. I just ate the hamburger...and it wasn't that good....and ate maybe half a fry.....this just means I need to order earlier or NOT order fries....


this is what I'm currently hooked up to....the yellow big bag is the chemo....a regular size bag of saline for fluids....another clear bag of D5......a foilish color bag of antibiotics (for fever control)......a bag of blood.....and more fluid stuff that goes along with getting a blood transfusion.....so 6.....bags all going into me at once....that's CRAZY!!! 

alright well....that's all i got for today, I'll be sure to update more tomorrow (if I remember) I'm sure with all this blood, I'll feel up to it....

Make sure to go buy a lottery ticket....it is 11/1/11!!

i would if I could but I can't

oh well. :)

much love,
kim

TWO MORE DAYS OF CHEMO!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment