Visitors

Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 234: TGIF and TGFI

Yay for Friday!I don't care who you are and what you do and if you have to go back to work in the morning....Friday feels good. And what's TGFI you ask?? Thank God for Insurance!! Wrds can't being to describe how lucky I am because I have insurance....yes, I complained aout having to pay it every month...but what 22 year old fresh out of college in their first "big person" job wouldn't? well my friends, I'm so glad I didn't skimp on the insurance because it's saving my butt right now.

Okay here's why...well yesterday I was suppose to get a blood transfusion, according to my doctors PA (who called me Wednesday afternoon) but then OU Prebyterian called me and said they didn't have room for me on Thursday so they can do it Friday. I agreed and said see you at 8. They told me it would be a quick process since I just got platelets on Tuesday so I wouldn't have to get typed and screened. Well, now that I'm here....they lied. I showed up with the same blood band that I wore on Tuesday and they still had to draw my blood and now I'm waiting for it to be tested so I can get some blood in me. The whole thing is an hour long process. ANYWAYS....before I got here I figured that I have to check in at the patient admission desk and alla that....but once I got in there, the guy said...oh you have insurance, once you check in for the month, you don't even have to mes with us. You can go strait up to the infusion room.....WHAT?! why did no one tell me this? I know this doesn't seem like a big deal but it really is. Oh and another reason I'm thankful for insurance....on Monday when I was hanging out at the cancer center waiting to be called back to get the regular a regular CBC (complete blood count, for the newbies) this guy was standing at the desk talking to the front desk lady and she said....okay today you owe $280 for the Neulasta shot. Will you be paying all of it today? WHAT?!?!?! dang, I thought those things were free!! I've never been charged for them or even had anyone start a sentence with the words, "today you owe..."

**Neulasta is a shot you get in the stomach or arm right after you finish your round of chemo. It's purpose is to help your body produce mature white blood cells faster. The shot works over 7 days so you don't have to get a shot everyday. I've had about 5 shots during treatment.

So if you think about this....just for a shot in the stomach....I would've owed $1400. I can only imagine all this CBC draws...cpm draws...and chemo. Im Thankful for young Kim and her thought processes to get a good insurance.

Alrit well, I was suppose to have a doctors appointment today to figure out some things BUT I'm stuck in this dang hospital. I called and they said if I get out before two, come straight over. So doc appt will be played by ear. I haven't got any newe CBC results so idk about my counts. I've been in the gym everyday for 6 days and its getting a little easier everday. I'm starting to fast walk more as opposed to running because I'm still sooo out of shape. I try to add a minute everyday to my jog (I'm up to 8 minutes of running) and it seems to be helping. I enjoy lifting weights again and on Wednesday night I realized I can spend 2 hours in the gym and not be bored...just like old times. So hopefully after this blood, I'll have more energy to do more things.

Alright well, I'm about to get off this thing and take a nap. I don't sleep well these days and I'm sooo tired. I bought ne flannel sheets yesterday and was actually excited to get in bed and enjoy the freshness of them and thought I'd go right to sleep.....wrong. Instead, I watched reruns of jersey shore and the real world. Lol. And now, I'm paying for it.

Well, I hope everyone has a fabulous Friday. As soon as I get more updates on why the heck my counts are so low...I'll let you know. :)

Much love,

Kim


P.s. My arms hurt so bad from all the sticking. So I'm thankful for PICC lines....even though I dont have one right now...I miss mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment