Visitors

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 178: HALLOWEEN DECORATIONS

I'm in a fabulous mood today. I think it's because it's sooooo nice outside today! I started the day eating lunch with my friend Emily at hideaway pizza....mmmmmm. Then I got in the mood to do something. Honestly, I wanted to play soccer but....I still get tired walking around so no bueno on that. Anyways,  So as soon as I got back from eating, I cleaned out/reorganized my storage area, labeled everything, and eventually got my sweet halloween decorations out!! So now my apartment is all halloween'd out and it looks great! I'm about to go to Kohl's to do a little more shopping for a shower curtain and bathroom halloween stuff. I've always wanted to be the festive person who has cute bathroom stuff in each holiday season....now is the time!! :)

Anyways, so quick health update.....I went and got a cbc on Wednesday and of course....thursday I got a call from my doctors nurse saying that my hemoglobin was really low (like in the 5's) and I needed more blood transfusions. lame. She said she would try to get me into the hospital on Friday but it's been so busy that she didn't know if she could. I was a bit bummed because blood transfusions take FOREVER and a day to do.....but I could tell that I needed one. On Thursday I was rushing around in the morning trying to head to work and I had misplaced my keys. Well my apartment was a complete wreck because on wednesday I was trying to reorganize my closet and clothes and jewelry were EVERYWHERE. So finding my one key to my car was nearly impossible. So it took me 27 minutes to find my keys....that were on my kitchen counter....and during the entire time I was looking for them I had to sit down every 30 seconds. I was getting so fatigue everywhere I went....i called it...it's really frustrating at times to not be able to do everyday things without feeling just out of breath. Even showering was getting harder. You just don't realize how much energy you exert doing stuff like that. never even phased me until now. But I manage and move on.

So anyhow, on Friday morning just as I was about to walk out the door for work, my doctors nurse called and said she was able to schedule a blood transfusion part I at the OU hospital in EDMOND.....ahhhhhhh!!

which meant I had to drive over there, find it, and go thru the whole check in process at a new hospital. So I got my directions and was on my way. When I got there, I entered thru the main hospital and asked the volunteer ladies where to go. They sent me to registration and as I was trying to explain what was going on and that I was told to go to the lab so I can be typed and crossed for my bag of blood, the registration lady was like....we don't do blood transfusions here. you need to go over to the other building. So I walked over to the other building and did the same thing. I was admitted and given a bracelet and taken to my room. Then as I sat in my room and waited I overheard nurses talking about they can't draw my blood here and carry it to the lab.  So they sent me BACK to the main building with papers and they said go straight to the lab and ring the door bell. So i did. Then the lab people were confused about the paperwork the nurses gave me and I said, "they told me to come here to get typed and crossed because I need a blood transfusion. "

after much deliberation on the nurse and tech's part, they sat me in a chair and was ready to draw my blood....NEEDLES and all.....so then I said, "OH, I have a PICC line in my left arm you can draw from. I don't want to be stuck with a needle" Then the guy freaked out because he didn't know what to do. He looked at my arm as if he'd NEVER seen a picc line before. Then he asked....well do you have a port in your chest then?? I said "uhh, no, why would i have a port if I have a PICC??" So then he asked the main lab guy what to do and he was just as confused. So they called the nurses at the other building where my room was and said, "She has a port so we're going to send her back with the tubes and you're going to have to draw her blood down there." So then a different nurse came back in the room and explained to me what was going on and she got a wheelchair and I was sitting in the waiting room and waiting for another nurse to come and when she did.....she said, well, let's just draw your blood here....there is no sense in going down there and me coming back with it. So i got up and walked back to the lab room....and FINALLY got my blood drawn. And I guess my blood was angry because it took around another 10 minutes for the blood to actually start flowing. lol. In my mind....i said... "GOOD."  haha. So then afterwards I was wheelchaired back down to my room in the other building....I was going to offer to walk but they took a few tubes of blood and I hadn't eaten all day so I started to feel a bit light headed. They hooked me up with some lunch and I got a hamburger and I had to wait about an hour to actually get the bag of blood going because they have to order according to your blood type and blah blah blah. Once everything got started I was given benadryl....not the fun shot that makes me slur my words and feel all fuzzy....but instead a pill that put me to sleep. Next thing I knew I was drooling all over my face and it was all done....and 4pm. haha So I gathered my stuff and left.

Now the not so funny part is that i have to go BACK on monday at 8AM!!!!! uuuugggghhhhhhhhhhh. I have to have two more bags of blood because I was sooo low. great huh? But this bag that I got on Friday has made a HUGE difference. Today as I was cleaning my storage and apartment I didn't once get tired or feel out of breath. and I've been at it for a good 3 hours before stopping to update my blog.....so imagine what life is gonna be like after monday!! YAYY!! I'll be able to start running again and lifting weights!! YAY!

Alrighty, well I need to finish cleaning my apartment and eventually get to Kohl's to buy a shower curtain!


what a great day! :)

BIRTHDAY IS IN 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna be the BIG 25...........yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh buddy.

until next time....

much love.

Kim


ALSO Northwest Classen High school will be having a blood drive in my name on OCTOBER 6th....>TWO days after my birthday!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ME! As soon as I get times and stuff I'll post it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment