Visitors

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 129: PANCYTO...what?

Word of the day: Pancytopenia


yeah...try saying that 3 times....or once. lol


So what is that you ask??
Pancytopenia is a deficiency of all types of blood cells, including white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets. It occurs when your body cannot produce enough blood cells because the bone marrow stem cells that form blood cells do not function normally. Pancytopenia has widespread effects on the entire body by leading to oxygen shortage as well as problems with immune function. 


basically, it's a fancy word for my counts are low because of the chemo. 


now that that's over....


it's 2am and I just got admitted to the hospital. I was waiting ALL DAY LONG for the "your bed is ready" call....and of course, they wait until late at night to tell me to come in. So here I am....finally!


I am kinda glad that they waited so long because I got the chance to eat lunch with my fabulous 8th grade teacher co-workers. I met them at the school right before they left for lunch and I was so happy to know that the students knew who I was. I heard a lot of whispering going around "OMG look it's Miss Begay", "Is that Miss Begay?". "Is Miss Begay teaching today?"


and of course a lot of "HI MISS BEGAY!!!" 


it was wonderful to know that my future students are so awesome....it also made me sad because I still have like around 60 days or so until I can teach and actually MEET everyone. 


What was really funny was that a student, idk who he was, was walking beside me and said, "Miss Begay, is that your real hair?" In my mind I thought....maybe I should just say yes. But i didn't. I figured that I would be switching wigs a lot during the year and I don't want to lie. I enjoy being open to my students....and I know they will give it to me straight if I have a 'bad hair day.' They can be brutally honest sometimes....i love them anyway. 


(side note, I'm laying in my bed with my door open and the lady across the hall is shaving her hair off and I'm totally eavesdropping on her conversation....she sounds sad. I think she's crying. :( It makes me want to go over there and comfort her.)


...
...
...
...
The doctor on call just came and asked me a million questions. She was blown away by my "story" of how I was walking around with a 3 hemoglobin and 8 platelet count. LOL. She agreed that it was because i was in such awesome shape. 


...
...
...


Anyways, it's going to be a long night. I gotta see the Oncology Fellow Doctor and chit chat with him so he/she can sign off on my orders.


I forgot that every 30 minutes when I get blood they have to take my blood pressure and temperature....so basically, I'm not gonna get ANY sleep tonight. ugh.. great. oh well. 


Alright well JERSEY SHORE is on tv now so I'm gonna watch it and try to relax and get a quick nap in before all this chaos starts. 


I love you all. :)


Good Night.


Kim
hey, i don't look sick.


No comments:

Post a Comment