Visitors

Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 62: Holidays

This has been one of the longest weekends EVER. I have done NOTHING except watch TV show marathons and old movies. I have been bored out of my mind but It was worth it.

As of yesterday, almost 2 months to the day of my diagnosis, I have officially gone into remission!

Meaning....my last bone marrow biopsy showed that all signs & symptoms of leukemia are gone. There are no abnormal cells in the blood, bone marrow, and cerebrospinal fluid, most of them are mature & can reproduce on their own. The percentage of lymphoblast cells in the bone marrow is less than 5% AND my blood platelet counts are returning to normal.

My last health update that I actually wrote down was on Sunday. My hemoglobin (red blood count) was at an 8.5 (I should be at around a 11-15) and I haven't had a transfusion and for me this is GOOD. :) My platelet count was at a 166....I came into the hospital for the first time at an 8. LOL and i've been floating around 22-40 so anything over 100 is awesome! :) and my white blood count....I didn't write down. lol. I guess I was excited about everything else. But I'm not neutropenic anymore so I know I'm above a 2. :)

So all this is great news and from what I was reading the longer it takes to get into remission the more likely one is going to relapse. They usually want people with ALL to go into remission during the first 4-8 weeks of treatment. So maybe that's why there was such a big push for the transplant?? IDK. I'll still have to get minor chemo treatments to maintain my remission state mainly done as an outpatient but sometimes I will have to come into the hospital. Which I'll take that over any hospitalization that I've had thus far.

Anyways, it's been such a long hospital stay even though it's only been two weeks. I think because it's been so rough on my body. My weight is down to 144.6 as of this morning. It's down from a few days ago of 147. And what's crazy is I thought I gained weight because I have actually been eating as opposed to throwing up everything. Oh well, maybe once I start walking around on my own, I'll put on some weight.

So as far as my current health goes, the Infectious Disease team hasn't found anything else new. They have been watching me closely and they said my broncoscopy has yet to grow anything (still) but yesterday they asked for a urine culture (pee in a cup) and from that grew some sort of bacteria. So now they're watching that but luckily it can be treated with oral medication so I won't be here any longer to get it treated. The plan is to go home TOMORROW (FINALLY!!) after another eye exam to see if the lump on my eye has grown or shrunk. I'll have to then come back daily for my IV medications to treat the fungal infection I came here for.

So basically, because of these infections it'll be a while until I won't have to come to the hospital daily but this was a scary infection to have so it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Alright well, I'm tired and hot and my ramen noodle scent is making me sick so I need to get off of here. I might take a walk somewhere or do some of my bed exercises.

I love you all very much and I definitely couldn't have made it this far, this fast without all of your prayers, thoughts, and kind words of encouragement. Thank you to all that have been behind me 100%. Words cannot explain how thankful I am that I have such wonderful people in my life. It makes me believe even more that the people you meet along the way are there for a reason. :)

have a good night.

kim

No comments:

Post a Comment