Visitors

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 12: Even if they turn the lights out the show is goin’ on.

I'm not getting out the hospital today or tomorrow. In fact, I'll be here for another WEEK. or so the doctor says. This morning they were doing their usual routine of getting my blood pressure, checking my weight (still 158), drawing their daily blood, and getting my temperature. And guess what? I had a fever of 100.8. GREAT. I guess I picked something up from something. And since my white blood count is probably at a 0.1 today my body is too weak to fight off whatever it is by itself. So they're gonna pump me full of antibiotics and hope I get better. awesome news right?

So they just drew my blood old school style (needle and arm...aka...my WORST fear here so far) and in 15 minutes they'll draw it again from my PICC line. Then they put it in some container that had yellowish stuff in it and they'll send it down to microbiology and they'll heat it up and whatever bacteria I have in my blood they'll "grow" it and figure out what it is. Then I'll be given antibiotics specifically for that bacteria. IDK how long of a process this all takes but the nurse just came in at 9:10 and she said the other nurse will come back in 15 minutes to draw my other blood (lol, like i have two sets) They said the bacteria could stem from the PICC line as well but idk if that was the case. Anywho, if this all confusing and you are thinking....what did I just read?? It's called a blood culture in case you want to look it up. :)

Anyways, it's 9:23am right now and i'm tired. My head is hurting today again as well as my gums....still! I don't think I have feverish symptoms and my head doesn't feel hot but I guess they know what they're doing.

SO I'M STUCK HERE ANOTHER WEEK. I may go crazy soon and I bet with all this going on they're not gonna let me go outside. And I'm thirsty so I'm irritated. I drank all my water, ate all my ice, and haven't ordered breakfast. I have an unopened orange juice beside me but that just sounds gross. Maybe when the nurse comes back for my 2nd blood draw I can get some. I could just push the nurses button but I hate bothering a working nurse for some ice water.....I know I would be irritated if someone did that to me. Maybe I'm just being too nice. lol. Oh well, the water crisis will be continued......oh wait, perfect timing, maybe she heard my mind venting and the rage from the keyboard, but a nurse tech just came in to check on me and I got some!! yesss!!

crisis averted.

Well that's all I have to report about this morning....it's only 9am and it's already been an eventful day. I'll write more later.

love you all!!

Kim

3 comments:

  1. Kimmie :)

    I’ve been reading your blog and you are so dang brave! I know it’s been a long time, but I wanted to let you know that I’m thinking of you.
    -Jennifer Cotton

    ReplyDelete
  2. HiKim: u r making da best of everything. keep up the positive state of mind. you r n our thoughts and prayers at all times. we r learning alot about you just as you are learning alot about ur condition as you write your "Different Kind of Journey". you are awesome to share your thoughts with us readers. i thank you for keeping on top of things. for now, i guess its all about days 10 thru 14, huh? L8r. lela & Chels. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you didn't get out today, I know you must have been disappointed. All of us at Taft are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers....and add all our family and other friends saying prayers, there's no way you can do anything but whip this leukemia's butt...so to speak. You're an inspiration to everyone who has something tough to tackle...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete